- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Posted on 09-25-2017
Responsible Dog Ownership Month in Derby
September is Responsible Dog Ownership Month as designated by the American Kennel Club (AKC). Here, at El Paso Animal Clinic, our Derby veterinarians encourage responsible pet ownership all year long. We especially want to take September to help Derby area dog owners to review their responsibilities to their dogs.
A Responsibility to Keep Your Dog Healthy
The first responsibility of a dog owner is to keep their pet healthy. Of course, it includes taking your dog to the vet when he's sick or injured but it also includes being proactive in maintaining their health and wellness. There are a variety of aspects in keeping your dog healthy.
- Take your dog for an annual wellness exam to monitor your dog's health.
- Make sure your dog is up to date on shots and vaccines for their size and breed.
- Ensure your dog gets enough exercise, playtime, and attention.
- Putting your dog on an appropriate, healthy diet that serves the needs of their size and age.
A Responsibility to Keep Your Derby, KS Area Dog Safe
Dog owners also have a responsibility to keep dogs out of harm's way. You can do this in several ways.
- Make sure your dog has a safe place to play. If outdoors, make sure it is a secure, fenced-in area. If a yard is unavailable, take your dog to a local park that accepts pets.
- When taking your dog out in public, keep him on a leash so he won't run into traffic or get involved with an aggressive dog.
- Never leave your dog in a hot car even if the windows are cracked.
- Keep your home safe for your dog by not letting food sit out where your dog can reach it. Keep trash secured and check that electrical cords don't have exposed wiring.
- Don't leave your dog alone for days if you travel. Find a trusted friend, relative or dog boarding facility.
More Ways to Demonstrate You are a Responsible Dog Owner
Demonstrate that you are a responsible dog owner by picking up after your dog during walks, keeping your dog groomed, getting dental check-ups, not allowing him on someone's property without their permission, and ensuring they behave properly.
We all have witnessed irresponsible dog owners and September is a month to focus on better dog ownership behavior.
Make an Appointment with Our Derby, KS Veterinarian or Stop in Today!
If it has been over a year since your dog has had a wellness check, see our Derby veterinarians at El Paso Animal Clinic. Contact us at 316-788-1561 or visit us at our clinic at 233 S. Georgie Avenue in Derby, KS. Walk-ins are always welcome. If you are in search of a Derby area veterinarian, trust the team at El Paso Animal Clinic.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.